Not So Young Anymore















So I can't jump as high as I used to. And I obviously can't land like I used too either. I play in a basketball league at the Coast Guard Base in P-Town for my work/command team. We are the ones that everyone guns for. Mainly because we are all contractors but also because we won a couple championships, complain to the refs and talk a lot of trash. I of course do none of the above...

I am known as the shooter (don't ask me why, a couple of years in the league and a dozen good games) so I get a lot of attention around the perimeter. Which in turn, on occasion opens up my ability to use my speed (cough, bullsh!t) and get to the hole. Well it sounded good. I pump faked, drove left and instead of pulling up from about 10 feet decided to try a runner and draw the foul. I got the foul called, well kind of. A guy we call "Big Country" stepped up and drew the charge and I came down on his foot. Left ankle turned over on the toes all the way. I immediately knew it wasn't pretty because I have had ankle injuries in the past. That happened at about the 7 minute mark when we were making a run to come back from a 13 pt deficit. I think we ended up losing by 3. I didn't go watch the next game but from what I heard we played hard as hell and ended up losing by 2. Wish I could have been there and who knows, maybe I could have knocked down a 3 or two.

I tore just about every ligament in my ankle. On the outside, top, and potentially one on the interior portion of the ankle. I have an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon on Monday to find out for sure what needs to happen next. My ankle was a grapefruit within minutes of the above said incident. Hurts like hell but I am a soldier and can deal. (Now the common cold is another story) And I have a wonderful woman and children who have been doing everything possible to make sure I am taken care of. Probably so I don't whine and complain. Definite thanks for that. And thanks to the Dr. who prescribed the vicodin.

Basketball will have to wait until next year...

Now I need to recover so I can get ready for softball.

0 comments: