Baltimore Ravens Preview












OFFENSE

The Baltimore Ravens offense, led by Cam Cameron and Joe Flacco, should be an exciting one to watch this year. Mason un-retires for another season, one that will be dedicated to best friend Steve McNair who was shot and killed this offseason. Flacco and Mason had good chemistry last year and should pick up where they left off. Baltimore acquired LJ Smith in the offseason which will hopefully give us a backup in case Heap has another injury plagued season. I think I am most excited about Joe Flacco and the offense. This is the first year I can say that we have something to look forward to on the offesive side of the ball. Joe Flacco has matured, has worked his tail off and it showed all preseason long. Ray Rice will lead the running attack with veteran Willis McGahee right there behind him. Leron McClain is back when we need that power punch. I know I know... The offense isn't going to rank high in the league but hey... This is the best offense I can remember us having since the franchise came back to Baltimore. Rumor has it we are looking at David Tyree and or Bobby Wade. David Tyree has already came in for a tryout and impressed the coaches. Coach Harbaugh knows him well from his days in Philly when Tyree was a WR and an ace on special teams. I would love for us to make a play for Boldin or another big name WR but I understand where the Ravens ownership is coming from and not wanting to pay the big $$ for one. Ozzie Newsome has always wanted to put the best talent on the defensive side of the ball. I just think we can't afford not to have the WRs for Joe Flacco to throw to or we are wasting his skill set.

DEFENSE
We lose Rex Ryan, Bart Scott and a player who I think is the biggest loss, Jim Leonard. I know I know. People are saying who is Jim Leonard. He was the salt to Ed Reed's pepper. Corny I know. But true. First year coordinator Greg Mattison is excited about his defense. Ray Lewis is excited about this season. I think our secondary is better than it has ever been. With Fabien Washington, Foxworth, and Ed Reed I think we have the best pass defense that we have ever had. Terrell Suggs coming off the end and Haloti Ngata is a force you do not want to see coming your way. We will definitely create turnovers and stop opposing teams from executing their game plans. I look for this to be one of the best defenses we have had. Big prediction, I know... But that is how good I feel about our team this year.

SPECIAL TEAMS
Not much I can say about special teams. We picked up Carr to return kicks which should give us a boost just like in the old days with BJ Sams. Harbaugh is a former special teams coach so I anticipate us having one of the best in the league.

Division Predictions:
AFC EAST - New England Patriots
AFC NORTH - Baltimore Ravens (homer pick)
AFC SOUTH - Indianapolis Colts
AFC WEST - San Diego Chargers
Wild Cards - Pittsburgh Steelers and Tennessee Titans

NFC EAST - Philadelphia Eagles
NFC NORTH - Green Bay Packers
NFC SOUTH - New Orleans Saints
NFC WEST - San Francisco 49ers
Wild Cards - New York Giants and Minnesota Vikings (wanted to pick Carolina badly)

Super Bowl: Baltimore Ravens vs. Green Bay Packers

Champions: Green Bay Packers (prove me wrong Bmore)

Tomorrow should tell us alot, we open up at home against the KC Chiefs. Newly acquired Matt Cassell might come into Baltimore with a chip on his shoulder and definitely has alot to prove. I think our secondary will be up for it. Should be a good game. If we can hold the running attack of the Chiefs to under 100 yards I think a victory will come fairly easy.

Are you ready for some football?

I know I am...

Questions that need to be answered:

1. Can the Ravens D produce without the mastermind of Rex Ryan?
2. Can Ray Lewis continue to play at a high level? It is his 14th season after all...
3. Who will Joe Flacco count on when Mason is covered?
4. Will Ray Rice/Willis McGahee provide that 1-2 punch?
5. Can/Will we be a playoff caliber team?

All these should be answered pretty quickly this season.

0 comments: